Monday, July 19, 2010

Slow-Cooker Pot Roast

I love pot roast, but I've been avoiding it.  I used to always make my pot roast with a boneless chuck roast, but they are too high in fat.  I made this dish using an eye of round roast.  It's one of the leanest beef roasts you can get, and it was DELICIOUS!


Ingredients:
3lb eye of round roast (trimmed of visible fat)
desired amount of red potatoes with skin on (I used about 7 medium sized)
1 bag of baby carrots
1 package of mushrooms, washed (optional)
1 packet of dry brown gravy mix
1 packet of dry italian dressing mix
1/2 cup water
1 onion quartered


Directions:
Place roast in the bottom of crock pot. Mix gravy and dressing packets with water and pour over roast. Layer potatoes over roast and top with carrots and onion. Add mushrooms last.  Cook on low for 7-9 hours. 


The beef roast has a set point value of 5 points because it is a lean meat, or you can figure it at one point per ounce. Carrots are one point; potatoes are about 3 points for 3 or 4 of the medium sized red potatoes and mushrooms are zero points.

1 comments:

Tori said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. It sounds delicious! I too am a health conscious person and I believe it is important to know where the food you consume is coming from. I work with La Cense Beef which is an approved USDA grass fed program. Our beef is 100% grass fed and is higher in omega 3 acids and lower in calorie and fat as opposed to traditional grain fed beef. The La Cense ranch is located in Montana where they ranch, sell and package their meats to sell directly to consumers. When making pot roasts for dinner, I would recommend trying grass fed Black Angus beef. Try grass fed Black Angus Beef and you will be able to taste an even bigger difference!