Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Low-Fat, Cheesy Potato Soup


I found this recipe the other day on the Taste of Home website. We love potato soup, so I was excited to try it. It was excellent! It was quick, and I love that it came out thick and creamy like full-fat potato soup. I'm going to post the recipe the way I found it, but I did make a few changes. The biggest difference is that I used red potatoes with the skin on. I did this mostly because I had some that I needed to use before they went bad. I also added some sauteed collard greens. I find that soups are great way to get greens in your diet. They tend to take on the flavor of the soup and add a nice texture. I also felt that the soup was a little bland, so I added garlic salt. The recipe calls for no salt to be added, and it calls for reduced-sodium chicken broth. I felt it needed a little bit of salt for added flavor.

Ingredients

  • 1-3/4 cups diced peeled potatoes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk, divided
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I used 2% cheddar)

Directions

  • In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, celery, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Add the remaining milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 5 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 178 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 14 g protein. (4 weight watcher points per cup)

0 comments: