Friday, March 26, 2010

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole


I came up with the recipe last night, and I was pretty happy with how it came out.  I still feel like it could use a little more flavor.  I think next time I might substitute lean diced ham for the bacon! I also added salsa to mine because I love eggs with salsa, but you could also serve with Tabasco sauce or ketchup.

Ingredients:

10 slices turkey bacon
1 small bag (1 lb 4 oz.) refrigerated hash browns (if you use frozen, thaw first)
12 egg whites
1 1/2 cups 2% shredded cheddar
salt & pepper to taste
salsa (optional)

Directions:

Cook bacon slices in a skillet until crisp; crumble and set aside.  Spray the bottom of the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Layer 1/2 of the hash browns in the bottom of the crock pot; top with 1/2 of the cheese and 1/2 of the bacon.  Repeat layers one more time.  Add eggs, salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl and mix.  Pour eggs over hash brown layers in the crock pot. Cook on low 3-5 hours or until eggs are cooked and firm.  Cut into slices and serve with salsa.

This makes six servings at 5.5 weight watchers points per serving.

0 comments: