Friday, March 5, 2010

Fruit Trifle (Maybe not so Weight Watcher Friendly!)



Matt and I are to going to a small group Bible study tonight, and this is the dessert I made for the pot luck.  I haven't figured out the points yet.  I will try to post them later when I have time to do the calculating. It's probably not too bad, but you could lighten it up by using sugar free pudding.  That just didn't sound too appetizing to me! :-) I should note that I did make the recipe lighter than it originally was by using ff cool whip, low-fat sour cream and skim milk to make the pudding.

Ingredients

  • 1 (12 ounce) container fat free frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream
  • 1 (9 inch) angel food cake (I made homemade, but you can use a store bought one)
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 3 kiwis, peeled and sliced
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
  • 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
  • 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, fold sour cream and prepared pudding into the whipped topping.
  2. Cut the cake into thirds, horizontally.
  3. Line a large trifle or other glass serving bowl with kiwi and strawberry slices, reserving two whole strawberries and two kiwi slices. Place one layer of cake in bottom of bowl, top with 1/3 of bananas and pineapple, and 1/3 of whipped topping mixture. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used.
  4. Make fan garnishes of whole strawberries by slicing from just below the stem. Garnish assembled trifle with fanned strawberries and reserved kiwi slices. Refrigerate until serving.
I also made a fruit salad out of the leftovers and an orange

0 comments: